Location: All parts of the Dominican Republic
Event: Tropical Storm Dorian is projected to affect the Dominican Republic beginning Wednesday, August 28th. This storm may bring significant rainfall and wind that may result in life-threatening flooding, flash flooding, and storm surge. Hispaniola-wide impacts are expected but the eastern and southern coast are likely to feel more significant effects.
U.S. government personnel are advised to remain current on weather updates and make appropriate emergency preparations. Temporary duty personnel should consider adjusting travel to avoid potential flight disruptions from the storm.
Safety Recommendations Related to Severe Weather:
- Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- S. citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to the Dominican Republic. Enrollment is completed at https://step.state.gov/
- Visit Ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
- If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided.
- Never attempt to drive through standing water, find alternate routes.
- If you have an emergency, you can call 911 in the capital region and some other areas – the tourist police (CESTUR) central number is 809-200-3500 or via mobile app- or call the national police at 809-682-2151
- Spanish language alerts are available from the Dominican emergency management agency (COE) http://www.coe.gob.do/ or via their mobile web app “alertaCOE”
- U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Av. República de Colombia 57, Santo Domingo
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
Website: https://do.usembassy.gov/ or follow on Twitter and Facebook.
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries or follow on Twitter and Facebook.
- Dominican Republic Country Information Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) for security updates
- Visit Ready.Gov for information on emergency preparedness.