Location: Southern coast of the Dominican Republic
Event: The National Hurricane Center advises that as of Friday, July 2, Tropical Storm Elsa has been upgraded to a Hurricane. The National Hurricane Center has issued a Tropical Storm Warning for the southern coast of the Dominican Republic from Cabo Engano to the border with Haiti and a Hurricane Watch for the southern portion of Haiti from Port Au Prince to the southern border with the Dominican Republic. Hurricane Elsa is projected to pass near the southern coast of the Dominican Republic beginning Saturday afternoon, July 3. Heavy rains, winds, flooding and mudslides are possible in the affected areas.
Safety Recommendations Related to Severe Weather:
· Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
· Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions and follow warnings and directions provided. If you have an emergency, call 911. The tourist police (POLITUR) central number is 809-200-3500 or via mobile app.
· Spanish language alerts are available from the Dominican emergency management agency (COE) http://www.coe.gob.do/ or via their mobile web app “alertaCOE”
· U.S. citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to the Dominican Republic at https://step.state.gov/.
· Visit Ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness
· Update and review your family’s contingency plans. All U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
· Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
· If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
· Never attempt to drive through standing water; find alternate routes.
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Av. República de Colombia 57, Santo Domingo
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
Website: https://do.usembassy.gov/ or follow on Twitter and Facebook
Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs 1-888-407-4747toll-free from the United States and Canada 1-202-501-4444 from other countries or follow on Twitter and Facebook
Dominican Republic Country Information Page
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) for security updates
Visit Ready.Gov for information on emergency preparedness.