Weather Alert – Tropical Storm Grace (August 14, 2021)
Location: All parts of the Dominican Republic
Event: The National Hurricane Center and the Dominican Republic Center of Emergency Operations have issued a Tropical Storm Watch for the Dominican Republic on the south coast from Punta Caucedo to Cabo Engano and on the north coast from Cabo Frances Viejo to Cabo Engano. A Tropical Storm Watch means that tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area, generally within 48 hours. Heavy rains, winds, flooding and mudslides are possible in the affected areas.
Safety Recommendations Related to Severe Weather:
- Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions and follow warnings and directions provided. If you have an emergency, call 911. The tourist police (POLITUR) central number is 809-200-3500 or via mobile app.
- Spanish language alerts are available from the Dominican emergency management agency (COE) http://www.coe.gob.do/ or via their mobile web app “alertaCOE”
- U.S. citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to the Dominican Republic at https://step.state.gov/.
- Visit Ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans. All U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
- If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
- Never attempt to drive through standing water; find alternate routes.
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) for security updates
Visit Ready.Gov for information on emergency preparedness.