Returning Resident Visa

A permanent resident (called lawful permanent resident or LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.  You can learn more about Returning Resident Visas on

To apply for returning resident status, please complete form DS-117 (PDF, 56 KB), create a profile at and make an appointment for an SB1 Immigrant Visa interview at the U.S. Embassy. If you have been out of the United States for less than one year and have lost your permanent resident card (green card) or your green card has expired, read instructions on how to apply for a transportation letter.