Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo (March 30, 2020)
Location: Dominican Republic
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo will be sending a daily update to ensure that all U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic have the latest information on COVID-19.
The Dominican Republic has confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout the country. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return home or be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. All U.S. citizens must follow the curfew and restrictions on public gatherings put in place by the Government of the Dominican Republic.
The following information has been updated on the Embassy Santo Domingo COVID-19 website:
- The Dominican Republic has 901 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 42 confirmed deaths.
- The Embassy has advised staff that the facility we use for emergency and specialized care has reached its full capacity. As the outbreak proceeds, access to medical care and specialized equipment will be increasingly difficult to obtain, and hospitalized patients will have an increased risk of exposure to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Dial *462 to reach the COVID-19 hotline in the Dominican Republic for specific instructions if you have been exposed or are experiencing severe symptoms. Note: English-speaking operators are limited.
- Check with the airlines directly regarding booking flights or changes to your travel plans. Flights are available to the United States through JetBlue and Delta.
- Have a plan to depart from the Dominican Republic that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the Dominican Republic.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information and other global impacts.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Av. República de Colombia 57, Santo Domingo
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates