Replace a limited validity passport by Mail

Effective August 17, eligible U.S. passport holders may replace their emergency, limited validity passports by mail.


Applicants may replace emergency, limited validity passports by mail only if the passport is still valid.

Please Note: If your emergency passport was issued more than one year ago, you must follow the instructions for normal passport renewal, which may require you to appear in person and will require you to pay renewal fees.  See our page for Passport Services for more information.

What to mail to the Embassy

  • Your valid emergency passport and a photocopy
  • Two (2) new 2×2 inches passport photographs that meet standard requirements
  • A completed, legible, and signed DS-5504
    • Please note: if the application is for a child under age 16, one of the parents should sign.

Applications with incomplete or incorrect information, or applications received without all required documents will face delays.

Mailing Instructions

Mail your application and all required documents using Domex to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo
Passport & Citizenship Unit
Av. Republica de Colombia #57
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

Domex delivery service fee: 25 dollars inside the city and 30 dollars outside the city. You may pay in cash or with a credit card.

Important Information

Social Security Numbers

  • If you have been issued a social security number, you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport. Missing or incorrect social security numbers will delay your application.
  • If you have never been issued a social security number, you must submit this signed form (PDF, 284 KB) along with your application.
  • If you are in the Dominican Republic and do not know your social security number or require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.