Effective August 17, eligible adult U.S. passport holders may renew their ten-year passports by mail.
You may renew by mail if all of the following applies. Your passport is:
- Issued when you were 16 years of age or older;
- Issued within the last 15 years;
- Issued with a 10 year validity; and
- Issued in your current name OR you have changed your name since your passport was issued and can submit legal documentation to prove this change.
Not all adult passports are eligible to be renewed by mail. Please see Lost/Stolen Passports for instructions for replacing a lost/stolen passport. Please see Correction of Information for instructions for changes of name by means other than marriage or correction of passport information. Please see Replacing an Emergency Passport for replacement of a limited validity (fewer than 10 year validity) passport. Please see Passports for instructions for all other passport renewals.
What to mail to the Embassy
- Your most recent U.S. passport and a copy
- Two (2) new 2×2 inches passport photographs that meets standard requirements
- A completed, legible and signed Form DS-82.
- $110.00 non-refundable application fee (See payment instructions below)
- If applicable: Evidence of Change of Name – e.g. Marriage Certificate, Statutory Declaration or Court Order (name change must have taken place after your passport was issued)
Please note during the processing period, a Consular Officer may also request additional documents in support of your application. Applications with incomplete or incorrect information or applications received without all required documents will face delays.
Mail your application and all required documents using Domex to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo
Passport & Citizenship Unit
Av. Republica de Colombia #57
Domex delivery service fee: 25 dollars inside the city and 30 dollars outside the city. You may pay in cash or with a credit card.
Social Security Numbers
- If you have been issued a social security number, you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport. Missing or incorrect social security numbers will delay your application.
- If the name on your social security record does not match the name on your passport application please make sure that you have completed question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’.
- If you have never been issued a social security number, you must submit this signed form (PDF, 284 KB) along with your application.
- If you are in the Dominican Republic and do not know your social security number, or require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.
- How much to pay: $110 (U.S. DOLLARS) OR 6,600 Dominican Pesos
- Please note there is no expedited service outside the United States. Please do not include fees other than those stated on this page. Payments made in the incorrect amount cannot be accepted.
Acceptable payment methods
- Cashiers check ($110.00 U.S. dollars or 6,600 Dominican Pesos) in the exact amount.
- We will only accept a cashiers check made out to ‘U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo’ from one of the banks below:
- Banco Popular
- Banco BHD Leon
- We cannot accept personal checks, credit cards, or cash.
- You should allow 4 weeks for your application to be processed.
- Applications with incomplete or incorrect information or applications received without all required documents will face delays.