Eligible adult U.S. passport holders may renew their ten-year passports by mail using our Passport Navigator. The Passport Navigator will ask you a series of simple questions determine if you are eligible to renew your passport by mail or if you need an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo or the Consular Agencies in Punta Cana or Puerto Plata.
The processing time for routine passport renewals is three-four weeks. If you are traveling within two weeks and need an emergency passport, please follow the instructions in the Passport Navigator.
Eligibility and instructions to renew your ten-year adult passport is available below. All this information is also included in the Passport Navigator.
You may renew by mail if all of the following applies. Your passport is:
- Issued when you were 16 years of age or older;
- Issued within the last 15 years;
- Issued with a 10 year validity; and
- Issued in your current name OR you have changed your name since your passport was issued and can submit legal documentation to prove this change.
Not all adult passports are eligible to be renewed by mail. Please see Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Passport for instructions for replacing a lost/stolen passport. Please see Correct a mistake in your passport for instructions related to name changes or corrections. Please see Replace an Emergency Passport for replacement of a limited validity (fewer than 10 year validity) passport. Please see the Passport Services page for instructions for all other passport renewals.
What to mail to the Embassy
- Your most recent U.S. passport and a copy
- Two (2) new 2×2 inches passport photographs that meet standard requirements
- A completed, legible and signed Form DS-82.
- $130.00 non-refundable application fee (See payment instructions below)
- If applicable: Evidence of Change of Name – e.g. Marriage Certificate, Statutory Declaration, or Court Order (name change must have taken place after your passport was issued)
Please note during the processing period, a Consular Officer may also request additional documents in support of your application. Applications with incomplete or incorrect information or applications received without all required documents will face delays.
Mail your application and all required documents using Domex to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo
Passport & Citizenship Unit
Av. Republica de Colombia #57
Domex delivery service fee: 25 dollars inside the city and 30 dollars outside the city. You may pay in cash or with a credit card.
Social Security Numbers
- If you have been issued a social security number, you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport. Missing or incorrect social security numbers will delay your application.
- If the name on your social security record does not match the name on your passport application please make sure that you have completed question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’.
- If you have never been issued a social security number, you must submit this signed form (PDF, 284 KB) along with your application.
- If you are in the Dominican Republic and do not know your social security number, or require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.
- How much to pay? $130 U.S. dollars OR 7,800 Dominican pesos until August 16, 2022 and 7,280 Dominican pesos on or after August 17, 2022. Beginning August 17, 2022, our exchange rate will change and $130 U.S. dollars will correspond to 7,280 Dominican Pesos.
- Please note there is no expedited service outside the United States. Please do not include fees other than those stated on this page. Payments made in the incorrect amount cannot be accepted.
Acceptable payment methods
- Cashiers check ($130.00 U.S. dollars or 7,800 Dominican Pesos until August 16, 2022 / 7,280 Dominican Pesos on or after August 17, 2022) in the exact amount.
- We will only accept a cashiers check made out to ‘U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo’ from one of the banks below:
- Banco Popular
- Banco BHD Leon
- We cannot accept personal checks, credit cards, or cash.
- You should allow 4 weeks for your application to be processed.
- Applications with incomplete or incorrect information or applications received without all required documents will face delays.
- If you need to renew your passport for emergency travel, please use our Passport Navigator to schedule an appointment.