Lost, Stolen or Damaged Passport Replacements

To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged passport, please follow the instructions in our Passport Navigator even if you need to travel urgently and need an emergency passport.  You must schedule the first available passport appointment using our online system and then email us at SDOAmericans@state.gov to move the appointment.  Please explain the nature of your emergency in your email.

Urgent travel that qualifies for an emergency passport includes:

  • Illness of the traveler and need for medical treatment in the United States
  • Grave illness or death of an immediate family member in the U.
  • For tourists only – imminent scheduled return travel to the U.S. after a passport has been lost or stolen. (Note: this option does not apply to U.S. citizens residing in the Dominican Republic)

Planned vacation travel does not qualify as an emergency, even if your ticket has already been purchased.

If your passport is lost or stolen, first report the theft to the local police to obtain a police report.  Along with the police report, you will need proof of citizenship and a photo ID, such as a driver’s license, school ID (for minors) or a Dominican ID-cédula (for dual nationals).

Please bring the following:

  • Application form DS-11 completed ONLINE and printed.  Application forms filled out by hand are NOT accepted.  Do not sign the application until you are requested to do so by a Consular Officer.
  • Form DS-64 (Report of a lost or stolen passport) completed ONLINE and printed.  Hand-written filled application forms are NOT accepted.
  • Attach two 2×2 inch photos.  For your convenience, photos can be obtained inside the Consular waiting area.
  • Any identification available to prove your citizenship accompanied by a photocopy of each one, for example: previous passport and a copy, naturalization certificate and copy, certificate of citizenship and a copy.  If available, bring a copy of the lost or stolen passport.
  • Fee.

For children with lost, stolen, or damaged passports:  The law requires the consent of both parents on all passport applications for minor children under the age of 16, or documentation of sole custody.  Parents who are not able to attend the appointment must submit a notarized form DS-3053 (PDF, 83.4 KB) Statement of Consent.  A copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must be attached to the form.  The form must be notarized in the United States or at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  If a parent is in the Dominican Republic, he/she must come to the Consular Section in person to sign the passport application.