Correcting a mistake in your passport

Passports are no longer amended.  In order to change information on your passport, you must submit a new passport application.  If you meet the specific criteria outlined below, you can use the no-fee passport amendment form, form DS-5504 , to apply for a new passport.

This form should only be used for making a data change for a previously issued, currently valid U.S. passport WITHIN one year from the date of issue:

  • When there is a change in your identifying information, such as a name-change due to marriage, divorce or by court order; or
  • To correct a Passport Services’ printing error.
  • In order to have data in your passport changed, you will need to present evidence in support of the proposed change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order.

If you are eligible to use form DS-5504, you may submit your application by mail.  If you are not eligible to use form DS-5504, please contact us at for information on how to proceed.

What to mail to the Embassy

  • Your current, valid passport and a photocopy
  • Two (2) new 2×2 inches passport photographs that meet standard requirements
  • A completed, legible, and signed DS-5504, completed ONLINE and printed.  Applications filled out by hand are not accepted.  Please sign and date your application.
    • Please note: if the application is for a child under age 16, one of the parents should sign.

Applications with incomplete or incorrect information, or applications received without all required documents will face delays.

Mailing Instructions

Mail your application and all required documents using Domex to the following address:
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo
Passport & Citizenship Unit
Av. Republica de Colombia #57
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

Domex delivery service fee: 25 dollars inside the city and 30 dollars outside the city. You may pay in cash or with a credit card.

Important Information

  • Social Security Numbers
    • If you have been issued a social security number, you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport. Missing or incorrect social security numbers will delay your application.
    • If you have never been issued a social security number, you must submit this signed form (PDF, 284 KB) along with your application.
    • If you are in the Dominican Republic and do not know your social security number or require a new or replacement Social Security number card, you should contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy.