Children must appear in person accompanied by both parents (unless one parent has sole legal and physical custody of the child, or only one parent’s name is listed on the child’s birth certificate). Notarized written consent of any parent who is not present is required (note: this must be notarized in the United States or at a U.S. embassy or consulate). If a parent is in the Dominican Republic, he/she must come to the Consular Section in person to sign the passport application.
All U.S. Citizen Services with the exception of adults over 18 applying for their first passport are provided at the Consular Agencies in Punta Cana and Puerto Plata. For your convenience, we recommend that you use the Consular Agencies for services if they are closer to your geographical location. For example, Puerto Plata provides services to Santiago, Sosua, Cabarete, Las Terrenas, Samana and any of the cities along the North Coast. Punta Cana provides services to Bavaro, Higuey, Bayahibe, La Romana and any of the cities along the East Coast. The Agencies tend to have shorter wait times and be less crowded.
If you would like to make an appointment at one of the Consular Agencies, please email Punta Cana Consular Agency or Puerto Plata Consular Agency. If you experience technical difficulties or do not have access to internet, you may make your appointment by calling (809) 552-8990 for Punta Cana or calling telephone numbers (809) 586-8017, (809) 586-4204, (809) 586-8023 for Puerto Plata. Please see specific instructions below for the different types of passport applications.
For an appointment in Santo Domingo use our online appointment system. The day of your appointment, bring the following documents with you to the consular section or Consular Agency:
- Certified birth certificate (showing parents names) and a copy
- Application form DSP-11 completed ONLINE and printed. Hand-written filled application forms are NOT accepted. Applications are NOT to be signed until you are requested to do so by a Consular Officer.
- Your child’s most recent U.S. passport and a photocopy of the bio/photo page
- Application fee (U.S. dollars or Dominican pesos).
- Two 2″ by 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) color photos (front view, full face and plain white or off-white background.
- Photo identification of both parents (present the originals and submit one copy of each parent per applying child
- Notarized written consent of any parent not present with the child
- Proof of U.S. citizenship of the child (if a minor acquired U.S. citizenship at or after birth): Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), or Naturalization Certificate, or Citizenship Certificate. All original documents must be accompanied by a photocopy
- Transition photos of the child over the years since the issuance of the previous passport and up to date.