Required Documents

Required documents

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child, both parents and the child must be present at the interview.

You are required to bring all of the documentation listed on the CRBA checklist (PDF, 180 KB).

Please note the following information about legalizing documents in the Dominican Republic:

In the Dominican Republic, birth, marriage, divorce and death records are obtained from the local registry office (Oficialia Estado Civil) closest to the place where the event took place.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Social Security statement showing prior employment in the U.S.
      • The Social Security Administration has suspended the field office issuance of Social Security Earnings Statement.  However, an individual can download and complete the Form SSA-7004, Request for Social Security Statement, then print, sign, and mail it to request a statement. The form SSA-7004 can be printed from the following link:  (PDF, 65 KB)
      • If you have a U.S. address, you can download your statement immediately by visiting:
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence.