I am a U.S. citizen or resident alien living in the Dominican Republic. Am I required to pay U.S. income tax?

March 14th, 2016.-

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad.  Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

The upcoming filing deadline is April 15, 2016.  If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien residing overseas you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay any amount due without requesting an extension. For a calendar year return, the automatic 2-month extension is to June 15. If you qualify for this 2-month extension, penalties for paying any tax late are assessed from the 2-month extended due date of the payment (June 15 for calendar year taxpayers). However, even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return (April 15 for calendar year taxpayers).

If you would like more information about U.S. income tax responsibilities for U.S. citizens living abroad, please visit the IRS International Taxpayers web page:


If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien (Green Card Holder) and you live in a foreign country, mail your U.S. tax return to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

You may be able to file your tax return electronically using e-filing software.  The IRS website has information about electronic filing:


How to Get Tax Help

The IRS Office in Philadelphia provides international tax assistance. This office is open Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST and can be contacted by:

  • Phone: 1 (267) 941-1000 (not toll-free)
  • FAX:1 (267) 941-1055
  • Mail: Internal Revenue Service

    Philadelphia, Pa 19255-0725