An official website of the United States government

Two Parent Consent for Minor U.S. Passports
August 1, 2022


In order to issue a U.S. passport to any minor child under the age of 16 (first time or renewal), U.S. law stipulates that all parents listed on the child’s birth certificate must provide written consent.  We acknowledge family situations where this may prove difficult, which is why we are sharing the following options. Parents who are not able to attend the appointment must submit a notarized form DS-3053 Statement of Consent.  A copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must be attached to the form.  Form DS-3053 must be notarized in the United States or at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  If a parent is in the Dominican Republic, he/she must come to the Consular Section in person to sign the passport application.  If a form DS-3053 is unable to be obtained, the applying parent must provide proof that said parent has been granted sole legal and physical custody of the child by a court order.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, @EmbajadaUSAenRD for updates and additional information on consular issues.