An official website of the United States government

Two Parent Consent for Minor PPTs
January 17, 2023


In order to issue a U.S. passport to any minor child under the age of 16 (first time or renewal), U.S. law stipulates all parents listed on the child’s birth certificate must provide written consent.  We acknowledge family situations where this may prove difficult, and so we offer the following options.  Parents who are not able to attend the appointment must submit a fully completed and notarized form DS-3053 Statement of Consent.  A copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must be attached to the form.  Form DS-3053 must be notarized in the United States or at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  If a parent is in the Dominican Republic, they must come to the Consular Section in person to sign the passport application. If a form DS-3053 is unable to be obtained, the applying parent must provide proof of having been granted sole legal and physical custody of the child by court order.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, @EmbajadaUSAenRD for updates and additional information on consular issues.