An official website of the United States government

Student visa reminders
July 3, 2023

Colorful graphic of a woman with a book and a laptop

Remember when you apply for an F1 visa to study in the United States that you don’t need to pay anyone to prepare the application for you. You can fill out the documents yourself. After you’re accepted at a school or university in the United States, you will receive an I-20 form. If you aren’t proficient in English, make sure the form mentions that you will take English classes as part of your studies. You may have to ask the school or university for an amended form. If you have received extra funding for your studies, such as a loan from FUNDAPEC, make sure to bring documentation. Never buy documents from vendors as submitting false documentation could affect your future visa applications.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, @EmbajadaUSAenRD for updates and additional information on consular issues.