Location: Cities and towns throughout the Dominican Republic
Event: Election Security Precaution
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Dominican municipal elections scheduled for 16 Feb 2020 have been suspended. This could result in protests, particularly near voting locations.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid voting areas.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your daily plans and a way to reach you.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Carry a photocopy of your passport biographic data page.
- Keep a cell phone with you with important numbers programmed.
- U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) for security updates