Reporting the Death of a U.S. Citizen in the Dominican Republic

May 9, 2016

When the U.S. Consular Section learns a U.S. citizen has died in the Dominican Republic, we immediately attempt to notify the family if they are not present in the country.  If family members are present, they should contact us so we can provide the names of local funeral homes familiar with handling the deaths of American citizens.

The Consular Report of Death is an official U.S. government document that consular officers prepare.  It is used in dealing with Social Security other U.S. agencies, and insurance companies.  To prepare a Consular Report of Death, we will need proof of citizenship such as a U.S. passport, birth certificate, etc. and an original local death certificate.  We will ask you to complete a form asking for basic information about the citizen as well as medical information on the cause of death.  An autopsy may be needed to obtain all of this information, as well as for Dominican legal purposes.  The need for an autopsy may delay issuance of the Report of Death by as much as a month or more; however, it will not usually delay shipment of your loved one’s remains to the United States.


Services for U.S. citizens in Punta Cana and Puerto Plata

There are two consular agencies, located in Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, that offer assistance to U.S. citizens with emergencies such as crime, arrests, deaths, and locating medical services.  Both of these agencies also offer passport services, including replacements for lost or stolen passports, renewals, reporting births of U.S. citizens’ children, and notarial services.  Please note that visa services are not available at the agencies.

The Puerto Plata agency is located on Villanueva Avenue at the corner of John F. Kennedy. U.S. citizens may call 809-586-8017, 809-586-4204, or 809-586-8023 for appointments and services. The Punta Cana consular agency is located in the Palma Real Shopping Village Business Center on the 2nd floor, El Cortecito Bavaro, next to the Hard Rock Café. U.S. citizens may call 809-552-8990 for appointments and services.  For after hour emergencies, U.S. citizens should call 809-567-7775 and embassy staff will be able to provide assistance.