An official website of the United States government

Immigrant Visas Original Documents and English Translations
Ask the Consul
December 18, 2023

Preparing for your immigrant visa interview? Make sure you bring all required original documents with you to the Embassy. For example, all applicants need their original (Acta Inextensa), birth certificate. You also need to bring original marriage, divorce, and/or death certificates for current and all previous spouses.  Being prepared with original civil documents will help avoid delays in the processing of your visa. 

Please note that if your documents are not in English or Spanish, you must bring a certified English translation of those documents to your interview, after also uploading it in the system. If you do not speak either English or Spanish, you should also bring a qualified translator to your interview. 

For more information on document requirements, please read the email instructions you received. You may also visit travel.state.gov. 

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, @EmbajadaUSAenRD for updates and additional information on consular issues.