Location: Dominican Republic
Event: Flight Cancellations and Hospital Shortages
On March 19, 2020, the Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. Given the unpredictable nature and global impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on travel, U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic who reside in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. All travelers are advised to contact their airlines for more information on departing flights as soon as possible.
March 19, 2020 Updates:
- Several airlines have reported limited availability of flights to the U.S. from Santo Domingo (Las Americas), Punta Cana and Santiago. U.S. citizens should contact the airlines directly, either through their websites or by phone, to make or change reservations.
- American: https://www.aa.com. Contact: 809-200-5151; 1-800-433-7300
- Delta: https://www.delta.com. Contact: 809-200-9191; 1-800-221-1212
- Frontier: https://www.flyfrontier.com. Contact: 801-401-9000
- JetBlue: https://www.jetblue.com. Contact: 809-200-9898
- Southwest: https://www.southwest.com. Contact: 1-800-751-9039
- Sun Country: https://www.suncountry.com. Contact: 1-651-905-2737
- Some hotels will cease operations shortly. U.S. citizens staying at a hotel who do not wish to depart the Dominican Republic or are still seeking to make reservations on departing flights should check with their hotels to confirm and extend their reservations or to inquire about alternative lodging options. The Embassy has received notification that in the Punta Cana region the Hard Rock hotel, Paradisus Palma Real, and Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro will maintain operations for at least the next several days.
The Embassy has advised personnel that medical care is likely to become severely limited and hospitalized patients may have an increased risk of exposure to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
ï Call *462 (*GOB) to reach the Dominican Republic’s COVID-19 information hotline if you have symptoms.
ï Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
ï For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
ï Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 U.S. Embassy website for information on conditions in the Dominican Republic.
ï Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
ï U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
ï Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
ï Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.