United States Embassy, Santo Domingo, The Dominican Republic
Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens-Assisted Departure Related to Hurricane Irma
September 6, 2017
This message is to advise U.S. citizens residing and traveling in The Dominican Republic that Hurricane Irma, currently a category 5 storm, is projected to affect The Dominican Republic. On September 5, 2017 the Department of State approved Authorized Departure for certain Embassy staff and their family members. Seats remain available for U.S. citizens wishing to depart from Santo Domingo.
A charter flight will depart from Aeropuerto Las Americas in Santo Domingo mid-afternoon on September 6th. American citizens wishing to travel on this flight must contact the embassy at SDOAmericans@state.gov. Seats will be available on a first come, first served basis, and all passengers must satisfy the below conditions:
· posses a valid U.S. passport. Non-U.S. Citizen spouses or minor children of U.S. Citizens must posses a valid visa. No visas will be issued at the airport and Visa Waiver Program country passports may not be used on this flight.
· sign a promissory note to repay the U.S. government for the cost of the ticket. This is a one way flight to Washington, D.C. Return transportation and connections will not be provided. The estimated price, which may be lower or higher, is approximately $900 U.S. dollars per person.
· all normal luggage and customs restrictions apply. Accompanying pets must be in approved pet carriers. The Embassy cannot guarantee boarding of animals. All animals, including service animals, must have all required paperwork for international travel and entry into the United States. The Embassy assumes no responsibility for the boarding of animals.
· other condition may apply, such as restrictions placed on U.S. passports for those who sign promissory notes.
Please contact the embassy at +1 809-567-7775 for additional information.
For further information:
· See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and The Dominican Republic Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in The Dominican Republic, located at Av. República de Colombia, Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic, 10507.You may also call 809-567-7775 during and after office hours. For afterhours emergencies please press “1” when prompted. For non-emergency specific inquiries please e-mail us atSDOAmericans@state.gov.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).