How to Apply for a Travel Document

NOTE: The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo is currently offering only emergency appointments for consular services, including requests for boarding foils. If you have an urgent need to travel, please email and provide the reason(s) why immediate travel is required, together with evidence of the same, if any.

If you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who wishes to return to the United States, has been outside of the United States for less than one year and is not in possession of a valid travel document, you may apply for a boarding foil to travel back to the United States. You will need to complete the application form and make the application payment online before attending an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo.

Information on Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) can be found on the USCIS website at:

Please make sure to read the instructions for the I-131A in full before making any payment or scheduling an appointment.  It is important to note that a legal permanent resident who is in possession of an expired LPR card with a 10 year expiration date, and who has been outside of the United States for less than one year, does not need a boarding foil and may travel to the United States using their expired LPR card.

Questions on this process may be directed to

RE-ENTRY PERMITS: Applicants who have an approved Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, and have been notified that their re-entry permit has been sent to Santo Domingo, may arrange to pick up their re-entry permit at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo by appointment only. Please email to request a pick-up appointment and provide your full name, date of birth and alien registration number.