Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (November 9, 2023)
Location: The Cibao
Event: Demonstrations in several towns in the Cibao have been announced for Monday, November 13, starting at 6:00 AM. The Cibao is a northern region of the Dominican Republic consisting of 14 provinces: Dajabon, Duarte, Espaillat, Hermanas Mirabal, La Vega, María Trinidad Sánchez, Monseñor Nouel, Monte Cristi, Puerto Plata, Samaná, Sánchez Ramirez, Santiago, Santiago Rodriguez, and Valverde.
The organizers intend to protest economic policies and the cost of living and have called for the closure of all commercial and industrial service establishments, as well as the total paralysis of labor, financial, transportation, and education activity in the Cibao for 24 hours. Towns which may be affected by the strike and demonstrations include Nagua, Samana, Salcedo, San Francisco de Macoris, Santiago, Moca, Bonao, Navarrete, Santiago Rodriguez, and Dajabon.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid large crowds and demonstrations.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Notify friends and family of your safety.
· Make contingency plans to leave the area if you recognize demonstrations forming.
· Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible, and carry a copy of your passport.
Av. República de Colombia 57, Santo Domingo
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
· State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.