Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Location: Areas surrounding the Palace of Congress, Supreme Court and other government buildings in Santo Domingo and within the Dominican Republic.
Event: The Dominican Republic has entered the candidate selection stage for presidential elections, scheduled for May 17, 2020. During previous election cycles, large crowds of people have gathered in support of, or to protest against, policies or candidates. Recent political demonstrations have involved the use of tear gas. Such events have the potential to grow and become violent.
U.S. government personnel and others living in or visiting the Dominican Republic are advised to be alert for, and to avoid the immediate area of, any protests.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates
- Avoid crowds
- Employ good security practices
- Be aware of your surroundings
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Av. República de Colombia 57, Santo Domingo
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
Website: https://do.usembassy.gov/or follow on Twitter and Facebook.
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries or follow on Twitter and Facebook.
- Dominican Republic Country InformationPage
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)for security updates
- Visit Ready.Govfor information on emergency preparedness.