An official website of the United States government

If Only One Parent Can Attend

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth and the U.S. citizen father is not able to attend the appointment, form DS-5507 Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support is required. The form must be completed, signed and notarized, and should be presented along with a copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form.

If you are also applying for a passport and one parent is not able to attend, the parent who cannot attend the appointment must submit a notarized form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. A copy of the same identity document used to notarize the form must be attached to the form.

Alternatively, the applying parent may submit one of the following documents:

  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent;
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent. Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order;
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent, or judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent.