An official website of the United States government

Can I travel to the United States with my domestic employee?
October 10, 2023

Colorful graphic of a man and woman wearing yellow gloves

Yes, individuals who employ domestic help and wish to travel with their employee to the United States for a specific, limited period may apply for a B1 domestic visa. The employer must either hold a valid B1/B2 visa or be a U.S. citizen who resides abroad.

To qualify, the domestic employee must have been working for their employer for at least one year. Both the employer and the employee must be present at the interview, and must bring a contract that meets the prevailing hourly wage for the location to be visited, which can be found here: https://www.flcdatacenter.com/OesWizardStart.aspx

The employer is responsible for the costs of the employee’s airfare and room and board during their stay in the United States, and the employee enjoys the same legal protections as any other non-immigrant worker in the US, as described here: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/LegalRightsandProtections/Wilberforce/Wilberforce-ENG-100116.pdf

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, @EmbajadaUSAenRD for updates and additional information on consular issues.