An official website of the United States government

Boarding foils
December 5, 2022


If you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has been outside of the United States for less than a year, but your resident card (“green card”) is lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to apply for a travel document, also known as a “boarding foil.”

If your 10-year LPR card is expired, you do not need a boarding foil.  U.S. law allows for you to travel to the United States using your expired card in conjunction with your Dominican passport, without penalty to the airline.  Remind authorities that this information is located in the Carrier Information Guide, produced by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

If you are a Conditional Resident with a 2-year card that has expired, you need proof that you filed form I-797 and have residency extension through the date of travel.

For more information, see:  Information for Legal Permanent Residents – U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic (usembassy.gov) 

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, @EmbajadaUSAenRD for updates and additional information on consular issues.