An official website of the United States government

Ask the Consul: US Passport X Gender marker
July 7, 2022



The Department of State has reached another milestone in our work to better serve all U.S. citizens, regardless of their gender identity.  You can select the gender marker you would like printed on your U.S. passport.  The gender you select does not need to match the gender on your supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID.  We no longer require medical documentation to change the gender marker on your U.S. passport.

At this time, you can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified or another gender identity (X) as your gender marker if you are applying for a U.S. passport book and selecting routine service.  You can apply in-person at a passport acceptance facility or renew by mail with a printable application form.  This addition of a third gender marker for non-binary, intersex, and gender non-conforming individuals reiterates the Department’s commitment to promoting and protecting the freedom, dignity, and equality of all people – including LGBTQI+ persons.

For more information visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/selecting-your-gender-marker.html

You may also access the form here

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, @EmbajadaUSAenRD for updates and additional information.