Ask the Consul – Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States (CRBA)

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain requirements are met under the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States (CRBA) documents that the child is a U.S. citizen.

The first step to begin the process of transmitting citizenship is to visit the Embassy’s website,, and print the CRBA checklist which will guide you through the application process. Then, gather all the documents requested, carefully review and initial each item on the checklist to ensure that your application is complete before sending. Please note that you must complete but not sign the application forms, this includes the DS-2029, DS-11 and SS-55.

Next, email scanned copies of all of the documents and applications to In your email, be sure to include a phone number where the Embassy can contact you. If your application is complete, our office will respond with a date and time for your appointment. Please note that if your application is not complete, it will not be processed.

Finally, on the day of your appointment please be sure to bring the originals of all the documents and application forms you provided via email, two 2×2 passport sized photographs and the CRBA and passport application fees.

If your application is approved at the time of the interview, you will be informed by the consular officer, and will receive instructions on arranging for delivery of the documents.

Please note that currently, ACS is only accepting applications for U.S. citizens who have immediate travel needs. Thus, if you are applying now, please also include a copy of your itinerary in the email.

Visit for more detailed information on the transmission of citizenship and CRBA application process. If you have any further questions, you can contact us at