Ask the Consul – Report of Death of a Person Holding a Social Security Number

An image of a visa.

There are people who have worked legally in U.S. territory in some way, although they are not citizens of the United States. These persons may be Dominicans or citizens of other countries who have obtained visas and temporary work permits.  They may also be, or have been, Legal Permanent Residents, refugees, among other situations. It is necessary to report the death of a person, even if not a citizen of the United States, provided the individual has been issued a Social Security number.

Both the death of U.S. citizens, Dominicans, as well as nationals of other countries who obtained their Social Security card must be reported to the Federal Benefits Unit of the United States Embassy in the Dominican Republic. This way, we can close the record of the deceased who was carrying a Social Security number.

It is important to make sure whether the deceased worked and also paid Social Security taxes in the United States at any time during his or her life. This serves as the basis to determine if the person was a holder of a Social Security card, regardless of the nationality. It does not matter if the person lived the last years of his or her life outside U.S. territory.

In addition, some of the relatives of deceased persons may be entitled to benefits from that Social Security number, provided that the deceased person worked and paid the taxes mentioned above. Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit as soon as possible to ensure that survivors receive all benefits that may apply.

To report a death, visit the U.S. Embassy website,  Under the “U.S. Citizens Services” tab, you will find the “Social Security and Veterans Benefits” section. In the segment “Report of Death Form” you can report a death and at the same time ask about the possible benefits for the survivors.

For more information about Social Security and other federal benefits, visit the Embassy’s website: