Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo (April 13, 2020)
Location: Dominican Republic
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo will be sending a daily update to ensure that all U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic have the latest information on COVID-19.
U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return home or be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. All U.S. citizens must follow the curfew and restrictions on public gatherings put in place by the Government of the Dominican Republic.
U.S. citizens traveling to an airport to depart the Dominican Republic who encounter a roadblock should present their passports and ticket confirmation and inform the local authorities of their travel plans. If you are denied permission to continue to the airport, follow all instructions from the authorities while remaining in the general vicinity of the roadblock and contact the U.S. Embassy at 809-567-7775.
The following information has been updated on the Embassy Santo Domingo COVID-19 website:
- The Dominican Republic has 3,167 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 177 confirmed deaths.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Dial *462 to reach the COVID-19 hotline in the Dominican Republic for specific instructions if you have been exposed or are experiencing severe symptoms. Note: English-speaking operators are limited.
- Check with the airlines directly regarding booking flights or changes to your travel plans. Flights are available to the United States through JetBlue and Delta.
- Have a plan to depart from the Dominican Republic that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the Dominican Republic.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information and other global impacts.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Av. República de Colombia 57, Santo Domingo
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.