March 18, 2020.
Health Alert – U.S. Embassy U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo (March 18, 2020)
Location: Dominican Republic
Event: Flight Cancellations and Hospital Shortages
The President of the Dominican Republic announced a number of measures to slow the spread of COVID-19 on March 17. Effective at 6 am on March 19, the President has suspended arrival of incoming passengers and has effectively closed the borders of the Dominican Republic for an initial period of 15 days. While the President announced that outbound flights will continue to ferry foreigners out of the Dominican Republic to their home countries, some flights have been cancelled and there could be a further reduction in availability of departing flights. All travelers are advised to contact their airlines for more information as soon as possible. Given the unpredictable nature of the global COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on travel, U.S. citizens who wish to depart the Dominican Republic should do so immediately.
The Embassy has advised personnel that medical care is likely to become severely limited and hospitalized patients may have an increased risk of exposure to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Call *462 (*GOB) to reach the Dominican Republic’s COVID-19 information hotline if you have symptoms.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 U.S. Embassy websitefor information on conditions in the Dominican Republic.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Av. República de Colombia 57, Santo Domingo
Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
(Dominican Republic Country Information)
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter